If it looks too good to be true - it probably is:
- First of all, and most importantly - always buy the puppy in person. This will give you the opportunity to inspect the health of the puppy, the cleanliness and safety of the location, and best of all, you'll see if you have a good rapport with the puppy. While a picture may be worth a thousand words, a real live puppy will tell the story.
- Reputable breeders will never ask you to send or wire money. No matter how good the deal seems or how cute the puppy is, always pay once you've inspected the puppy and asked the breeder all of your questions. Only then should you pay. Then, consider paying for the puppy with PayPal, a safe alternative to carrying cash. PayPal is a reputable company where you can securely link your bank account, your credit cards and your VISA Debit without the seller knowing your account information. It's a quick and easy way to make a payment and comes with Purchase Protection on eligible purchases up to $20,000.
Do your homework.
- Be aware of the laws in Canada and in your province specifically. Selling or buying exotic animals like monkeys, turtles or tiger cubs is illegal and can get you in a lot of trouble.
- Take a look at the pictures in the ad. Do they look like they might be generic photos downloaded off the internet? Do not be afraid to ask for more information or pictures of the animal.
1. Most scams involve one or more of the following:
- Dog scams are most common with English Bulldogs, Yorkies, Maltese, Chihuahua's and Huskies.
- Inquiry from someone far away, often in another country.
- Western Union, Money Gram, cashier's check, money order, shipping, escrow service, or a "guarantee."
- Inability or refusal to meet face-to-face before accepting transaction.
2. Who do I notify in case of scams?
- PuppiesForSaleOntario - Contact Us.
- PhoneBusters hotline: 888-495-8501
- Reporting Economic Crime online (www.recol.ca or 1-800-495-8501)
The overwhelming majority of users are trustworthy and well-intentioned.With billions of human interactions facilitated, the incidence of violent crime is extremely low.
Nevertheless, please take the same common sense precautions online as you would offline.
When meeting someone for the first time, please remember to:
- Insist on a public meeting place like a cafe.
- Do not meet in a secluded place, or invite strangers into your home.
- Be especially careful when buying/selling high value items.
- Tell a friend or family member where you're going.
- Take your cell phone along if you have one.
- Consider having a friend accompany you.
- Trust your instincts.
Taking these simple precautions helps make PUPPIESFORSALEONTARIO safer for everyone.